Importance of Product Packaging in Marketing
Many merchants think that the key is, first of all, in their product. There is a famous quote in business which says: “it’s the packaging that sells the product the first time, but it’s what’s inside that sells the package the second time.”
According to some researches, 70% of first time purchases are made because of attractive packaging. So, the question is : “The packaging is important, isn´t it?” The answer is yes. Now packaging is a marketing tool which helps you not jut to protect your product, but to construct your brand image.
Main functions of packaging
1.Product Identification and Brand Recognition.
Packaging is the main tool to identify your product. It clearly shows the logo, brand tagline and reflects brand personality and spirit. Also do not forget about information transmission function of packaging. Packaging usually talks about main product ingredients, instructions for use etc.
2. Product Promotion.
Packaging is used as a powerful platform for seasonal promotional campaigns. For example, during Christmas time the majority of brands intend to transmit a Christmas message through their packaging. Recent Coca Cola campaign with the people´s names on the can shows a new company´s strategic step towards product personalization.
Some iconic product packaging knows how to create a “dream factor” and improve buying experience, for example, an iconic turquoise dream box of Tiffany&Co or a legendary white paper box with black title of the perfume Chanel Nª5.
One of the main functional purposes of packaging is to protect the product. There are some special requirements for packaging material depending on the type of the products. Good product packaging prevents damages and reduces the cost of replacement.
How to create a successful packaging?
- Think about forms and functions. First of all, you packaging has to be resistant enough for your product transportation. Moreover, the packaging should be acceptable to place a product instruction .
- Be simple and clear what your product is about. Frequently, too much creativity is a consequence of a product ambiguity. Simple design is more effective. Better not to focus your packaging just on your brand, but more on the product itself.
- Do not overcrowd your packaging. Do not overload your packaging with lots of images, icons and text. When you overload your pack with information, you confuse your customer even more. It is recommended to add links to your Twitter, Facebook and website to the general information about the product .
- Remember about “hierarchy of messages”. The pack copy is a design element. Order the “speech ” of your pack. Remember about 3 main ideas to underline: what is it? what brand is it? what benefits?
- Try to be honest. When you are going to place the image or photo of your product on your pack, try to present it as natural and real as possible. There is no need to show biscuits with dark chocolate on the pack, if the real product represents cookies with cacao. If your product is very attractive, mix textures of your packaging, adding transparent materials to show your product.
- Be authentic. For better differentiation of your brand, try to be more original in your packaging. For example, use illustration or type-based design instead of photography or vertical layout instead of typical horizontal one.
- Create iconic assets and maintain the main brand line. Your packaging should include your corporate colors, main tagline and logo.
- Create engaging packaging. Even the packaging helps customers to “feel.”Remember about the power of “eye contact.”
- Use new technologies. Augmented reality and QR codes will help you to make a distinctive packaging for your product. Construct a dialog with your customer by introducing different promo codes at your pack.
- Think about double usage of your pack. Famous Danish Butter Cookies is a good example. The iconic tin box is the main distinctive characteristic of this product. Almost every second person use this box after to keep some accessories and other things.
How to improve the shopping experience with your packaging during Christmas campaign?
One of the reasons to focus on a good packaging for your ecommerce, especially during holiday season, is that it will help you to improve your brand image and user-experience. 49% of online shoppers reckon that a nice packing makes them more excited about opening the item. You can use a Premium Packaging for your online store during seasonal holiday.
Key ingredients of Premium Packaging for your online store
- You packaging will reflect your brand. This idea, especially, is important for millennials as they are sure that the brand and its packaging is the part of their own personality.
- Make your holiday packaging more personal. Include personalized postcards wishing happy holidays, photos of the team, special promo codes for next purchase.
- Be green. Today, there is a tendency for eco-friendly products. So, these holidays you are going for sustainable packaging.
Packaging is a voice of your product. So, give a new voice to your products these holidays.
Discover more tips&ideas of Digital Marketing with Bloombees!